Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Pencil sketches of the masters

Art night, the weekly Wednesday night friends art session that Rob and I started a couple years ago, is back in full swing. I like to have canvases around for people who show up with nothing to do, but I'm thinking of scaling this back to pencil sketching. Now it's true that most museums and galleries show paintings and not drawings, but it's not true that paint is required for beautiful art. All of the masters have fine examples of pencil sketches. I should link to one or two here, that would the proper blogger thing to do, but I'm in a rush. It's almost yoga time. Jordan's late.

Anyhow, I was thinking about this on the ride home today, and it occurred to me that this would make a great Gallery 263 lecture: Pencil Sketches of the Masters. I've been trying to come up with something to prepare a lecture for, and, given no training whatsoever in art history, I feel like this one is at least within some realm for me to do. I just need a handful of hours. Was also thinking I should play music as much as I've been doing yoga these days. I like sleep too much for all that jazz though.

Tonight's plan for art night: learn some Christmas tunes, four part harmony. Possible highlight as I look into my crystal ball: Boar's Head Carol.

No comments: